Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Eclipse debug running very slow

I hit a problem developing with App Engine which took me a long time to figure out.  I have been flipping between projects so didn't really notice when GAE and GWT started so run so slowly.  I have also been experimenting with JRebel and messing with JVM memory parameters.  Well "suddenly" every started running really really slowly and App Engine would take around 10 minutes to start up and run my 6 async parallel queries.  Was it the new version of App Engine Java introducing a concurrency problem?  Was it that my local datastore local_db.bin was too big - holy shit its 10MB!

After a lot of kafuffle I finally removed all break points and viola - Every thing was lightening fast again!  Even though they were not being hit they somehow slowed the dev server down to a crawl.  What a massive waste of time.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks much!

Shaun said...

I had this same exact issue, I was going nuts. I figured it had to be Spring. Just so other people can find it I think keywords like eclipse debugger slow or eclipse spring debugger slow debug slow hopefully can help someone find this faster than it took me. Thanks for the post!

yudani said...

Awesome! solved my problem.

pietro said...

very good advice, thanks for it ;-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

very good advice.. I too solved

Daniel Schneller said...

Good heavens, this was driving me crazy. It was taking forever in some XML related stuff with tight loops.

Have not verified, but I had some (unrelated) method entry and/or conditional breakpoints set before. Possibly that has something to do with it.

sanjay said...

Thanks, Your blog saved me world of time :)

citress said...

You just saved me from wasting more time! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy to translate and revalue your transmute.
Learn About it

Unknown said...

Nobody can reject the info you have given in the blogs, this is actually a great work.Sony XBR55HX950 Review

jek said...

best laser light show projector is very poplular for decoration in the christmas event Check it now