Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lubuntu install removed Windows boot option

I bought an HP Mini 210 netbook which is a great little machine but Windows 7 Starter uses almost all of the meagre 1GB RAM for itself making everything painfully slow.  After a little research I found that the Lubuntu Linux distribution claims to have the lowest memory use of any of the Debian based desktops so I'm giving it a try.

I found I had to be online with an ethernet cable to finish the install because it could not recognise the WiFi card without installing extra drivers.  After updating the software with Synaptic and rebooting I found that the windows options had disappeared from the boot menu. 

To get them back I needed to run:

sudo apt-get install os-probe

sudo os-probe

sudo update-grub

 

Now the windows options are back in the boot menu!

2 comments:

j said...

dont work in lubuntu 10.10

i do the next

menu > preferences > synaptic package manager > search

put os-probe

found os-prober (r missing)

and now it work

j said...

then in console like sudo

os-prober

update-grub (or update-grub2)